Many vacations start with a long car
ride. These tips are offered to help make that drive
more enjoyable for everyone and have the car ride become
part of your
For car/van travel you might want to consider:
Always Drive Carefully. See Winter Driving Tips
Ensure that the vehicle is in good condition -
see Spring Car Maintenance Tips
Supervise young children closely when using public restrooms
- see Safety tips for Using Public Washrooms
Covering the seats with seat covers and a blanket under the
seat cover makes it much softer and protects the seats from spills.
- Try to have an extra set of keys available
just in case.
- Covering the floor of the vehicle with plastic floor
- Have a potty available for emergencies.
See tips on Motion Sickness
Curtains or shades on the passenger windows – this is
especially helpful for young children when they are sleeping to keep the sun
out of their eyes.
- A blanket and pillow for each child.
- Have children remove shoes to relax.
- A supply of toys/books/tapes for each child. See Tips on Buying Toys for Children
and Safety tips for Buying Safe Toys and Using Toys Safely
- Provide some entertainment for the kids along
the way -
see Travel Games for
- Have a sing-a-long
- A TV/VCR combo with a 9 inch screen, video tapes and ear
phones make for a nice quiet time for usually the length of one movie.
- Fill the car with gas the day before your
- Travel late at night or at nap times.
- Take a break every 2 hours and play some
games - see Travel Games - look
for clean rest areas or a park for some fresh air.
- Click here for tips on Long Road Trips
- Drink some fluids to avoid dehydration and
crankiness see Travel Tips and Tips for Making the Most of Summer.
- To avoid spillage - bring drinks in spill
- Practice sun safety for everyone's eyes on
sunny days - see Sun Safety Tips
- Make sure the travel medical bag is handy see
First Aid Tips
for what to pack.
- Try to plan travel times around a large city
outside of rush hours.
- Practice Defensive driving to help keep
All Tips are offered as suggestions only
While we have tried to provide you with
a list of suggestions to help parents when travelling with
children to keep them safe, unfortunately, we can’t
think of everything and it is the responsibility of
parents to ensure their children’s safety.
The Long Road Ahead:
Family-Friendly Road Trip Tips
Car Riding Rules for Tots and Teens from Club Mom - Safety issues you may not have considered before
Data Show Older Children Dying
More Frequently, Not Buckling Up in Car Crashes, Says AAA Chicago
For Car Safety Tips Click Below:
Booster Seat Basics
For Spring Car Care Tips Click
For Winter Driving Tips Click Below:
Tips for Renting a Car from Enterprise Rent-a-Car - Car Rental Agency
See the following sections for specific tips:
For General Travel Tips Click on
For Tips on Using and Purchasing Travel Equipment
for Babies Click Below:
Vacation Tips Click Below:
For Tips on Eating out with Children
For Tips on Who and What to Tip Click Below:
For Tips on Enjoying Live Theatre
with Children Click Below:
For Tips on Buying
Toys Click Below:
For Travelling with
Teenagers Tips Click on
For Motion Sickness
Tips Click on
For Tips on Taking Pictures Click Below:
For Tips on Travelling with Grandchildren Click Below:
For Tips on Protecting Your Home Click Below:
For Tips on Taking a Dude Ranch Vacation Click on
For Travel Tips - Children with
Severe Allergies Click on
For Winter - Ski
Holiday Tips Click on
For Air Travel Tips Click on
For Train Travel Tips
For games to play while travelling Click Below
For Amusement Park Tips Click Below
For Travel Safety Tips Click
To Return to Travel Tips Click Below